Upgrading to 10 gal system

Buy, Sell, and Trade Brewing Stuff.

Moderator: Officers

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

Upgrading to 10 gal system

#1 Post by Rob Martin » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:06 pm

I'm slowly putting together a list of needed items to upgrade to a 10 gal system. I'm looking for suggestions on a pump and boil kettle.

What would you suggest for a pump? Where did you buy yours, etc.

Anybody have a keggle they want to sell or know where I can get one?

Bill
Brewmaster

Re: Upgrading to 10 gal system

#2 Post by Bill » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:04 pm

Hey Rob,
I got my keg down on Kentucky street one day. Someone was 'selling' a bunch of stuff out in front of their house, one of which as a keg. I asked about the keg, they said take because they weren't able to return it for the refund/deposit. So I got a free keg, though I'm sure the keg isn't considered 'legal, but they were just going to throw it away anyway, so I'm using the guise of saving some SS from the landfill to ease my conscience. :roll:
As for legal kegs, you might contact the Bud distributor in Lawrence or maybe even a liquor store to see what your options are. To buy a similar legal product online like a keg is well over $200, so local is most likely cheaper. I'm sure there are several people here in the guild willing to help you modify a keg into a keggle.

I got my pump off of eBay. I searched for the seller but he is no longer listed. I got the March 809 HS for around $100 delivered. You can get any type of pump you want, but just keep in mind you want food grad materials for the parts that touch the wort, it has to take up to boiling temperatures, and the ability to be self-priming is up to you, but not required.
While checking eBay for the guy I bought mine from I see that they are currently some out there used for $90 plus shipping.

They have them on nothernbrewer.com for $120 un-wired, $140 wired. Mine was un-wired and took a few minutes to cut a computer power cord and wire it in. Not exactly rocket science.

I know that John Monoghan has a different brand than March and he seems to be happy with it, so you may want to see what brand and what he paid for his.
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by Rob Martin » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:13 pm

thanks a lot Bill

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#4 Post by Jensen » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:40 pm

A March pump-- any of the ones that Northern, Williams, or B3 will work fine. Use 1/2" fittings all around. March pumps are easy to get replacement parts for too. "Once you start using a pump, you can never go back. If my pump were to break during a brew-- I'd just stop brewing." Quote from AB.

10 gal batch? I wouldn't consider any thing less than a 20 gal kettle.

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#5 Post by cyburai » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:56 am

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/tateengin ... omZQQ_mdoZ

I bought both of my pumps from this guy.

and I've seen this guy selling weldless fittings, thought I haven't bought from him.

http://www.greatbargain.net/order/shop1.html

Hope that helps.
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

Greenblood
Brewmaster

#6 Post by Greenblood » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:13 am

Bill wrote: I know that John Monoghan has a different brand than March and he seems to be happy with it, so you may want to see what brand and what he paid for his.
Actually both of my pumps are March pumps from B3.
Cheers!

John Monaghan

"If your feelings were grapes I would crush them. And then, after fermentation, drink them down. And quite possibly later, throw them up again."

Bill
Brewmaster

#7 Post by Bill » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:24 pm

Greenblood wrote:
Bill wrote: I know that John Monoghan has a different brand than March and he seems to be happy with it, so you may want to see what brand and what he paid for his.
Actually both of my pumps are March pumps from B3.
I stand corrected.
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

rcole

#8 Post by rcole » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:02 am

Hey Rob I have a boil keg that the tile guy gave e to sell for him I'm shure he still wants to sell it I will call him and get a price

cyburai
Uberbrewer

#9 Post by cyburai » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:56 pm

rcole wrote:Hey Rob I have a boil keg that the tile guy gave e to sell for him I'm shure he still wants to sell it I will call him and get a price
Rob, put down the glass before you type. ;)
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

Blktre
BrewLegend

#10 Post by Blktre » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:27 pm

Jensen wrote: "Once you start using a pump, you can never go back. If my pump were to break during a brew-- I'd just stop brewing." Quote from AB.
Hmmmm, Ive heard that somewhere before!
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#11 Post by Jensen » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:54 am

Wondering how long it was going to take for you to chime in on that.