having to pitch my first batch, anyone else have to do this?

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Bill
Brewmaster

having to pitch my first batch, anyone else have to do this?

#1 Post by Bill » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:02 pm

Sean is familiar w/ this batch. He took it to KC for the KCBM comp and had some judges taste it. Best they could recomend was to put it back on the yeast cake and try to get rid of the diacetyl (or possibly DMS). So I when my next batch was done, I took the shizzy beer and let is sit on a yeast cake for another 7 days, and it did perk away. I then kegged/carbed it.
I had it in the kegerator for about 2 weeks and I just pulled a glass. It tasted like sweet... uhhh, ass I guess. I really don't know for sure what ass tastes like, but I think this was probably pretty close, if you drizzled the chocolate spider with some Kayro syrup.

Anyway, I'm crying cuz I also broke off an adapter pipe in my Co2 regulator and all my kegs are out of gas!
I just won a dual reg w/ 3 guages off eBay for 16.00, but that's probably a week away, so, I better drink sssssloooooowwwwwly.

yeah, I know, sux to be moi, huh?
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

Snowman
Homebrewer

Re: having to pitch my first batch, anyone else have to do t

#2 Post by Snowman » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:29 pm

Bill wrote:I really don't know for sure what ass tastes like, but I think this was probably pretty close, if you drizzled the chocolate spider with some Kayro syrup.
That's freaking funny shit!!...Don't know what to tell you other than to brew some beer!

I guess the only thing I would ask is did you happen to over shoot your temps in mash and end up with a bunch of nonfermentables?

Thanks for the laugh :!:

Bill
Brewmaster

Re: having to pitch my first batch, anyone else have to do t

#3 Post by Bill » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:51 pm

Snowman wrote:
Bill wrote:I really don't know for sure what ass tastes like, but I think this was probably pretty close, if you drizzled the chocolate spider with some Kayro syrup.
That's freaking funny shit!!...Don't know what to tell you other than to brew some beer!

I guess the only thing I would ask is did you happen to over shoot your temps in mash and end up with a bunch of nonfermentables?

Thanks for the laugh :!:
Well, I did mash around 154 on that batch, but if I remember correctly, that was the batch where the dogs were running around on the porch above me and I put the lid 1/2 <--- read that... HALF on the keg just to keep anything from the mutts getting into my boiling wort. Maybe having the lid 1/2 on was enough to keep the DMS from evaporating out? I also used a repitch on that one as well.
I had a lot of windows for issues to happen w/ that beer. It was my first beer w/ my new mash tun setup, I tried my first repitch on some yeast, the lid thing.

Oh well, I've since brewed the same recipe only in a 10 gallon batch and I've already drank 5 gallons myself. Turned out pretty good I think. When it was 'green', it had a bitter finish but not much as far as hop flavor, but once it hit about 3 weeks old, the Cascade hops kicked in. I think the next batch I'll change the Challanger hops out for something a bit less, well, bitter. :)
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us