Beer at the meetings

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

cyburai
Uberbrewer

Beer at the meetings

#1 Post by cyburai » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:25 pm

Generally the rule is to bring some of your beer, or a non-BMC beer to try out at the meetings.

Part of the reason that I bring beer to the meetings is to let other people try it, critique it, love it, hate it, etc. It gives me good feedback on what I should do the next time.

Last meeting was pretty dismal in the member beer front. Let's all try to do a better job this month.

After all, it's about what's in the glass.

See you all Thursday!
~Cyburai / Sean

"And so it was said: that on the eighth and extra day, God did indeed create beer to prevent the Irish from conquering the world."
- Old Irish Proverb

X Bar Brewing Company

cog_nate
Homebrewer

#2 Post by cog_nate » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:12 pm

I'll voice a note of disagreement.

I thought last month's meeting was pretty good. We had a great tasting and I left perfectly buzzed and having drank a wide range of beers, both home- and microbrewed. I don't have to leave every meeting falling down drunk. I have left meetings in that state several times, but the fact is that last month I didn't and it was pretty nice. Maybe I'm alone in that sentiment, but there it is.

I do agree that members should bring beer or fermented beverages of some kind -- excepting kraut juice and vinegar -- to the meeting. Whether that's a growler, a six-pack or a 22-ounce bomber or two should be left up to them. And I don't ever recall seeing a BMC beer at a meeting, except for one in which we were tasting to pinpoint flaws. Maybe Tecate once... *shiver*

Greenblood
Brewmaster

#3 Post by Greenblood » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:56 am

cog_nate wrote:I'll voice a note of disagreement.

I thought last month's meeting was pretty good. We had a great tasting and I left perfectly buzzed and having drank a wide range of beers, both home- and microbrewed. I don't have to leave every meeting falling down drunk. I have left meetings in that state several times, but the fact is that last month I didn't and it was pretty nice. Maybe I'm alone in that sentiment, but there it is.

I do agree that members should bring beer or fermented beverages of some kind -- excepting kraut juice and vinegar -- to the meeting. Whether that's a growler, a six-pack or a 22-ounce bomber or two should be left up to them. And I don't ever recall seeing a BMC beer at a meeting, except for one in which we were tasting to pinpoint flaws. Maybe Tecate once... *shiver*
I think perhaps you may have misinterpreted Sean's post. Sean suggested that the beer selection last month was less that usual, and I must agree with him. A good selection of beers is always nice. My disappointment in the selection was not due to leaving the meeting buzzed and not smashed. NOBODY should EVER leave a meeting "falling down drunk" as you put it, regardless of the amount of libation available. Members are of course never required to bring beer to a meeting, but as a homebrew club I should hope we would feel compelled to bring "home brewed beverage" whenever possible, or commercial bev if not.

2cents
Cheers!

John Monaghan

"If your feelings were grapes I would crush them. And then, after fermentation, drink them down. And quite possibly later, throw them up again."

bike2brew
Homebrewer

#4 Post by bike2brew » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:05 pm

At the last meeting it seemed to me that an unusually large number of people didn't bring any beer. And I understand that stuff happens and it is not always possible to bring beer. But, I like sampling a wide variety of homebrew and commercial beers that I haven't had before. And variety was defintely lacking a the last meeting due to lack of people bringing beer. Having enough beer to get a buzz is not the point. If all I wanted was buzz, I would stay home and drink Bud Light. And I have not yet showed up to a meeting without bringing beer.
Support Independent Craft Breweries.

Blktre
BrewLegend

#5 Post by Blktre » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:16 pm

Altho I didn't make last meeting, I too have have only been able to sample just a few beers at best. When I look at the beer table and look at how many people are at the meeting, we should have extra beer. My suggestion is this...
When sampling, pour a few ounces and pass the bottle on. Theres nothing that peaves me more than someone pouring a full pint for themselves. Most the time theres very little of a particular style or brewery to share with everyone. I think its just common courtesy to allow samples to go as far as they can go so more can enjoy. Ok, *rant off* Now lets enjoy each others company!!
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

cog_nate
Homebrewer

#6 Post by cog_nate » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:10 pm

Greenblood wrote:Sean suggested that the beer selection last month was less that usual, and I must agree with him. A good selection of beers is always nice.
cyburai wrote:Last meeting was pretty dismal in the member beer front.
That's not a suggestion, it's an assertion that I didn't particularly agree with.
Greenblood wrote:My disappointment in the selection was not due to leaving the meeting buzzed and not smashed. NOBODY should EVER leave a meeting "falling down drunk" as you put it, regardless of the amount of libation available.
Right you are. I overstated my point. However, I stand by my comment that last month's meeting was good, and I think it's safe to say that nobody truly suffered for lack of beer. This, despite the fact that there was a large influx of brand-spankin' new folks who didn't know to bring a beer or six.

OK, I'm done. As Andy said, *rant off*. Cheers, fellas.

Blktre
BrewLegend

#7 Post by Blktre » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:12 pm

cog_nate wrote: This, despite the fact that there was a large influx of brand-spankin' new folks who didn't know to bring a beer or six.
+1...lets educate starting tonight!!!
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough