How to make your own mini keg

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Bill
Brewmaster

How to make your own mini keg

#1 Post by Bill » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:33 am

Here are some VERY detailed instructions on how to make your own min-keg from a 3L soda/water bottle. This guy put a lot of work into detailing his process along with tons of tips and tricks that he's used.
Looks relatively simple and seems to be a very cheap alternative to a $80+ 3 gallon keg.

It seems to have been written in 2004, so some if you web monkeys have have already ran across this.
I plan on trying to make one some time in this month. Any other takers?

3L keg design <-- click it!

by C.D. Pritchard
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

#2 Post by Joe Yoder » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:55 am

Looks like a lot of trouble!! I'll stick to using a carbonator cap on a two liter bottle, thank you very much!
Joe

Bill
Brewmaster

#3 Post by Bill » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:08 pm

Joe Yoder wrote:Looks like a lot of trouble!! I'll stick to using a carbonator cap on a two liter bottle, thank you very much!
Joe
But for those that like to DYI vs paying $16 for a carbonator cap, it could be a fun project. :)
Plus I don't plan on making the foam filled chilling case, just a cap that will allow me to fill a bottle w/ CO2 and go.
That would remove all the drilling and soldering of the copper. All I'll need is a silicone washer, a copper/brass elbow w/ a 1/8" MPT x 1/4" flare fitting, a SS nut (is that like brass balls?) and a bottle cap I need to drill out.
Of course, everything seems simple at first :?
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us