Poor/No Floculation

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

bobe

Poor/No Floculation

#1 Post by bobe » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:00 pm

Can anyone here explain why on our 10th batch (LME) of Pale Ale, we have what appears to be a complete fermentation, but virtually no settling of the yeast? Used Wyeast 1028 which has a Medium-Low floculation, but our batch appears to have no settling at all. The beer has been at 68F for 2.5 weeks. I'd really like to know why this is happening and what change in the process can minimize the likelihood of it happening again. Feel free to chime in with critiques and suggestions regarding my salvage plan below.

Also, I dry-hopped with loose pellets (I know, bad idea), so now there is a layer of hop cheese floating on top of the beer. What a #$@^&#% mess! Somewhere I read that adding loose hop pellets will settle out. Is this usually true?

My plan is to use the kegerator to crash the carboy to 40F. If no joy, then I'll try adding gelatin and continue refrigeration. I hope a 6.5G carboy will fit in a Sanyo 4912 fridge.

BC

Bill
Brewmaster

#2 Post by Bill » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:20 pm

what's the gravity? Has it fermented out? I don't have experience with 1028, but all your suggestions are the path you should take.
Take your FG reading, if it is good, then chill, if that doesn't work, add gelatin.
As for you pellet dry hop, same thing, you pretty much have the answers. Once you cold crash the beer, everything should fall out.
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us