Making the Jump to All Grain

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

jl72189
Homebrewer

Making the Jump to All Grain

#1 Post by jl72189 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:52 am

Good morning,

I am looking at making the jump from extract to Full mash and i have a couple of questions, if anyone would be able to help me out. I started brewing in Jan and just joined the LBG last week.

First i was thinking of making the jump to a propane burner in addition to the full mash. I have a 4 gallon pot that i did my extract with and from what i have read you really need a 6.5 or 7 gal kettle. This is what i was thinking about picking up. Have any of you guys used a turkey fryer as your kettle? I am not sure if the boil kettle being aluminium is a huge deal.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... reNum=2218

Second question is i have a wireless thermometer that i use for BBQ/smoking and i thought this would be perfect for the mash tun so I do not have to raise the lid to check the temp. Is this something that anyone has used? I have no problem making mistakes/ experimenting but i figured i could ask someone that might have been down this road.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... =124139738

kevputo
Homebrewer

Re: Making the Jump to All Grain

#2 Post by kevputo » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:42 pm

I had a turkey fryer w/ aluminum kettle before I started brewing, and I used it for a couple of batches then switched to stainless. The aluminum forms an oxide layer that is supposedly not an issue, but I didn't like the way the think looked after boiling a batch. Kind of grossed me out when scrubbing out the pot, so I didn't want to think about that in my beer. So if you can find a turkey fryer that comes with a stainless pot, I'd suggest that. Also, bigger is better. Mine is 7 gallons, and still requires constant attention to prevent boilovers, especially if I mess up and add a little too much sparge water.

I use a similar thermometer and it is handy to be able to check temp without opening the lid. Just be careful not to let water into the top side of the probe (at the point where the flexible wire enters the rigid section). Maybe the Weber thermometer in your link has this area sealed? My cheaper thermometers do not. If water gets in there, your thermometer will act all screwy.

I found some instructions to seal this off and make it submersible, but haven't done it yet. I just hang the appropriate amount of wire into my mash tun to put the probe about halfway into the liquid, and use the lid to hold it in place. After the first few runs with my mash tun (10 gal water cooler) I know it doesn't loose more than a couple of degrees per hour, so as long as I get to the proper rest temp to start with, I don't have to watch it as closely as I did initially.
Kevin Hansen

jl72189
Homebrewer

#3 Post by jl72189 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:06 pm

Kevin,

THANK YOU very much for the reply, I am now on a hunt for a stainless Kettle. I think i may buy the fryer still just do the fact I can not find a burner cheaper then the $60. I will also make sure that I keep the prob wire out of the water.

Thanks again!
:)

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by Frank » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:44 pm

Don't hunt for a Kettle...Hunt for a KEG. It's a lot cheaper and will last you longer.

Get a standard 15.5 Gal Keg from craig's list or garage sale. Cut the top off. I'm sure there's someone in the guild that can help with that. Then you have a nice big "Keggle" that will last you into 10 gal batches. Best part about it is a keg runs around $30 on CL and is stainless also.

Also make sure you get a non-UL listed, "not safe" turkey fryer. Alot of them these days came with some sort of timer that will shut off the gas every 15-30 mintues unless you reset it. Don't try to buy a cheap fryer with one and think you'll be able to bypass it. You most likely brick the whole thing because they like to use strange thread types on the gas line and safety device. Bayou Classic makes some of the best that are a good price on Amazon with out the safety thing.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by Frank » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:53 pm

This
http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SQ1 ... 179&sr=8-1

Plus

$30 Keg

=

Sweet Boil Set-up for up to 10gal batches for $80
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

jl72189
Homebrewer

#6 Post by jl72189 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:34 pm

Day 1 of the all grain went well "i think" We got the new burner and 7.5 gal brew kettle and went with a wheat recipe. Got my grain from the new brew shop in town. Had to make a change of yeast strains but right now we are happy to just get the process down.

How ever i have a question if anyone can help me out. Beersmith told me to put in 3.125 Gal of water at 158 and a secondary software called for 4.4 Gallons at 152. How do you determine how much water to mash in with?

Thanks.

Jim

brick
Craft Brewer

#7 Post by brick » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:15 pm

Both of those will work the difference is in the water to grist ratio. So you need to determine that and make sure it is the same in both software apps then the answers will be closer. The alternate software in this case would give you a thinner mash and beersmith a thicker one.

jl72189
Homebrewer

#8 Post by jl72189 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:53 am

Thank you Brick.

jl72189
Homebrewer

#9 Post by jl72189 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:57 pm

All Grain Batch #2 done and done! Had a great time felt much better.

Thanks for all the input.