Seminar?

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Tuck
Homebrewer

Seminar?

#1 Post by Tuck » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:24 pm

We have our last seminar of the year this Thursday. Is there any suggestions on a topic or does someone have some knowledge to share? Open to ideas...
"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee alot."

Rob Martin
Uberbrewer

Re: Seminar?

#2 Post by Rob Martin » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:30 pm

I've never done a second runnings beer. Planning on trying it for the first time this Saturday, 11/12. Maybe some pointers on it would be helpful.

Matt
Uberbrewer

#3 Post by Matt » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:47 am

A seminar on how to calculate efficiency on brewing systems would be cool.

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

Tuck
Homebrewer

#4 Post by Tuck » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:12 pm

Jensen had an interesting idea, and I think it may be valuable in the next few months when we are all stuck inside and with a little more time on our hands. I'm not sure with this short of notice if it feasible though. What gadget/project have you made that has become a big part of your brewday? Would anyone be willing to bring something and discuss it, or just discuss it? Let me know if anyone is up for this. I think that ingenuity is a part of the hobby that most of us enjoy and new ideas spark creativity.
"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee alot."

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by Frank » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:20 pm

I have a basic DIY stirplate, and some upgrades to it
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Matt
Uberbrewer

#6 Post by Matt » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:43 pm

Good call Tuck, only a lucky few of us get to brew indoors, so the winter really is a good time to work on DIY stuff that can improve our brewing come spring.

A stirplate is something I have been meaning to make. Lord knows I've got an old computer fan lying around, and I imagine quite a few others do as well. Maybe we go through the process and parts required at the seminar and then schedule a "making day" for those who want to get together and build one as a group (preferably with someone who already has, and has all of the tools required). That way if someone doesn't have a soldering iron or glue gun or any other required tools, they can still get one made by bringing over the parts.

As much as I LOVE my keg washer, the parts list and pretty excellent build directions are already here on the forum. That's still the number one thing I've built myself that I absolutely would hate to do without. It makes another excellent winter project.

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#7 Post by Jensen » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:25 pm

Even stuff you haven't made, but purchased. Maybe some cool little gadget that many don't have and can see up close. Some things are as simple as cool clips or holders, connectors, thermometers or other measuring devises, randles, hopefully someone has a a hop rocket!!! It could even be a description of a process that you have found that makes things easier or fun.

If everybody tried to bring something for show and tell it would be a great and informative seminar.
**Podcasts are a way of multi-tasking.**

Phoenix
Homebrewer

#8 Post by Phoenix » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:56 am

Jensen wrote:If everybody tried to bring something for show and tell it would be a great and informative seminar.
and long...
I'd like to see "SHOW and TELL" time become a regular meeting feature.
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by Frank » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:04 pm

Tuck, should I repair and bring my stir plate? I also have a bottle filler adapter for Perlick pearl (500 series) faucets
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.” – Dave Barry

Matt
Uberbrewer

#10 Post by Matt » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:37 pm

Tuck, could you point me to where your parts list was for the stir plate build you covered at this month's seminar?

I need to get one made in the next day or so, so I can step up some yeast that's en route for a brew day ideally this weekend. I've got a PC fan, and can easily get the magnets for inside at the hardware store. Project box and such at Radio Shack sound great, but would love your parts list to make sure I'm getting everything I need in one stop. Photos of your box's insides would be great also (you too, Frank!). Stir bar will be another story... know of anyplace local I can get them?

Thanks again for a great seminar/winter project.

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

Frank
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by Frank » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:09 pm

Here you go.

Here

This is what I used. However I would get the 8x6x3 box, these directions say to get the one size smaller.

When I get the time here soon I'll have the tasting and seminar videos up. Also I plan to do a separate stir plate build to go with the seminar.
Frank Dillon
Twitter @JHawkBeerMaker

Tuck
Homebrewer

#12 Post by Tuck » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:59 am

Matt,

Here is the site I used for mine, it has some pictures included.

http://davidtrumbell.com/Beer/Setup/Sti ... Plate.html

Matt
Uberbrewer

#13 Post by Matt » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:17 pm

Thanks guys. Those will help greatly.

Anybody have any leads on inexpensive Erlenmeyer flasks and stir bars? Amazon and ebay aren't bad until you figure in the shipping. Man, that's where they get you. If only we had a local seller of such things...

Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

Matt
Uberbrewer

#14 Post by Matt » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:12 pm

After a great deal of looking online, I finally ended up ordering a Pyrex 2L Erlenmeyer and a 2" stirbar from Scientific Equipment of Houston via Amazon. We'll see how they work with my new stir plate once they arrive. More on that later.

Here are the specifics (so you can find the same items via search):

$4.75 - Magnetic Stir Bar Octahedral 2" x 5/16"
$22.49 - PYREX 2L Narrow Mouth Erlenmeyer Flasks with Heavy Duty Rim

Total with shipping and handling came to $33.67.

They were running a special where if you bought multiple items from Scientific Equipment of Houston, they'd ship for free, though the handling (packaging I imagine) was something like $8 due to the fragile nature of the items.

Not a bad deal.
Matt
Matt Bechtold
Anvil Chorus Brewing

DJ in KC
Craft Brewer

#15 Post by DJ in KC » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:27 pm

Matt wrote:After a great deal of looking online, I finally ended up ordering a Pyrex 2L Erlenmeyer and a 2" stirbar from Scientific Equipment of Houston ...............Matt
Always order more than one stirbar. Somehow they occassionally end up in the fermenter for a few weeks. Guess how I know.