My best Stout yet, and I don't know the recipe!!

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

Bill
Brewmaster

My best Stout yet, and I don't know the recipe!!

#1 Post by Bill » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:56 pm

I was supposed to brew up a Young's Double Chocolate Stout clone (from the BYO 150 Clone mag), but I was missing some ingredients so I decided to make version 5 of my Drunky McStout oatmeal Stout series. Things came up and I never got to brew that recipe up for a week, even though I already milled the grains.
On brew day I had a friend over and for some reason, I still thought I was doing the Young's clone so I finished out the recipe w/ the Young's specifics.
It wasn't until I was measuring out the cocoa to add to the last 15 mins of the boil that I looked in the BYO mag and realized that I created a completely different beer. Not only a completely different beer, but a beer that I didn't log the recipe (yeah, I know, I know, don't start).
That was 2 weeks ago. I just sampled a gravity reading from primary (1.071 OG 1.016 FG using 1098 British Ale yeast) and even w/out the chocolate essence, this is one ROCKING brew!

Even before the boil was done I knew it was going to be my best Stout to date just for the fact that I don't remember the exact recipe

damnit damnit damnit :banghead:
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us

Bill
Brewmaster

#2 Post by Bill » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:02 pm

update:

On Wednesday 18th I moved it from primary and added the chocolate extract, kegged it and moved it to the basement fridge for cold conditioning. As of Friday, the chocolate extract I added was a bit too much, but since I'm going to try and let this beer sit until November (I said try) I'm sure it will age into a damn nice brew.

I need more storage space :)
Thanks!

--Bill

all your mash are belong to us