Cider documentary and a shameless plug

Questions, answers, and comments related to brewing.

Moderator: Officers

cog_nate
Homebrewer

Cider documentary and a shameless plug

#1 Post by cog_nate » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:20 am

Thought some of you might enjoy this entertaining documentary on cidermaking and drinking in southwest England. Pro-tip: keeping your gaze trained on their eyes or foreheads allows you to almost completely avoid their disturbingly stereotypical British smiles.

Also, I've got an article on making hard cider in the current issue of Mother Earth News magazine. Reading it online is a poor substitute for having a real-life copy of such a lasting contribution to the field of boozemaking journalism, so rush out and buy several copies.

Cheers.

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#2 Post by Jensen » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:04 pm

This is getting me ready to use our newly acquired club cider press! Is there any apple or pear crop this year that we could put it to use? I know the frost kind of screwed things up this year. But I sure am game if anyone has an inkling.

Blktre
BrewLegend

#3 Post by Blktre » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:09 pm

Jensen wrote:This is getting me ready to use our newly acquired club cider press! Is there any apple or pear crop this year that we could put it to use? I know the frost kind of screwed things up this year. But I sure am game if anyone has an inkling.
let me know quick so i can gather some help to get this press ready for action. It needs some cleaning....
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

sherrybob
Homebrewer

#4 Post by sherrybob » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:20 pm

According to Fieldstone Orchard's website (they are near Overbrook), their crop was wiped out by the late April freeze and we might just be SOL this year. Unless we scrounge up some cheap imported fruit, but that just doesn't feel right to me.
Beer Haiku:
Delicious Homebrew
Nectar from nature's bounty
No hangovers here

cog_nate
Homebrewer

#5 Post by cog_nate » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:42 am

As far as soft cider goes, I stopped by Rees a few weeks ago; they said they didn't know when they'd start pressing, if at all. I checked w/the Merc folks yesterday, too, and they said probably no Rees stuff this year, so they're looking into different sources. There's Louisburg, too, but I'm pretty sure they always get all their apples from out of state anyway.

I agree w/sherrybob that using crappy imported apples is a no-go, but I wonder if we could do a bulk buy of decent apples through the Merc and do a pressing. Would anyone here be interested?

Blktre
BrewLegend

#6 Post by Blktre » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:50 am

Nate,
Im interested in a bulk apple buy as well. Could you please post this up in the bulk buy section with some ideas of when and where this could take place?
thanks,
Andy

PS, im glad Sherry found out that Fieldstones apples have been wiped out. I was planning on getting apples there, not now.....urgent!!
Just call me Andy!

Lupulin Threshold Shift
lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough

Joe Yoder
Brewmaster

#7 Post by Joe Yoder » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:56 pm

Nice use of the word 'discombobulating' in a serious magazine article, Nate. Seriously, very good article.
Joe

Jensen
Uberbrewer

#8 Post by Jensen » Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:04 am

yeah, BTW Nate, what a great article on cider making. It is the guide I'll use!

cog_nate
Homebrewer

#9 Post by cog_nate » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:28 am

Since last night's tasting was cider and I talked a bit with a couple folks interested in making it, I'm shamelessly bumping this thread (and re-linking to the image of the British cider guy who looks like my grandpa).

Cheers!